Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Recipe Review: Tuna Casserole

I love tuna salad.

I do not love hot, cooked tuna.

Since we are trying to clean out the freezer and pantry, and I have cans of tuna and boxes of pasta in the pantry, it only made sense to make Tuna Casserole.  I looked over several recipes on Pinterest.  I liked the look of this one.  However, my picky-eater (my hubs), doesn't like green leafy veggies.  What's girl to do?  Work around it.  I've tried sneaking in the green veggies.  Pretty successfully, I might add.  But to blatantly add the spinach in this dish would be a no-go with him.

Then I spotted a box of stuffing mix in the top of my pantry.  I must've picked it up at back in the fall when they were on sale.  I thought this might be yummy to add to a Tuna Casserole, and found this recipe.  But I didn't like the look of making it a "dressing" over noodles.  So I decided to combine the two and came up with this recipe.  I would share a picture, but have you tried taking a picture of a casserole??  Unless you are Kraft foods or The Pioneer Woman (both of which make everything look delicious no matter what it is), don't even ask me to post it.  It looks the least bit appetizing.  :)

Tuna Noodle Casserole with Stove Top Stuffing Crumble
1 box multi colored rotini pasta
2 cans cream of celery soup (or you could make your own)
1 cup crushed french fried onions
4 cans (5 oz each) tuna fish, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used medium cheddar today)
1 box stuffing mix (I had savory herb flavor)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta for 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the celery soup, french fried onions and tuna fish together in 13x9 casserole dish.

Drain the pasta and add to the dish.  Sprinkle cheese over the top and stir everything together.  Add about 1/2-3/4 cup water to loosen up the mixture to the desired creaminess.

Sprinkle the stuffing mix evenly over the top and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

I served this with peas on the side, but you could easily just toss them right into the casserole for a one-pot wonder.  But alas, my picky-eater doesn't do peas either.

This was pretty tasty.  We had leftovers and the kids ate them for lunch on the weekend.

How do you eat tuna casserole? Or do you?

1 comment:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I don't like hot tuna casserole either. My husband LOVES tuna though I don't make it for him too often.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails